A Stock Standard Day

Nothing of any T1D interest happened today.

  •  I got out of bed and jabbed my finger to test my blood glucose
  •  I had the first of the two morning injections
  •  A little later I had the second injection
  •  Breakfast. Because I follow the routine taught to me 46 years ago, I have a standard breakfast with a relatively standard amount of carbohydrate
  •  Just before getting off the train for my standard walk, I had a fruit juice box. This gives me the extra carbohydrate I need for the 45 minute walk
  •  After arriving at work, I had another fruit juice box. History tells me that if I don’t I’ll be going low within 30 minutes of getting there
  •  An hour later I had my morning snack. Quaintly this is called “morning tea” in Australia, a hang over from our English past. I was now set up for the coast through to lunch
  •  At midday I tested my BGL again and entered the result in the log book I keep. Then I prepared and ate my lunch. The log book is so I can show my doctor (Endo) my tests since the last time I saw her. From that she gets a snapshot of how I am managing my T1D
  •  Off for my lunch time walk around the river. It was a lovely day for it
  •  At mid afternoon I thought back over the day and thought about my levels this morning, the food I’ve eaten and whether anything differently energetic has happened today. From this I determined how much food I should have for my afternoon snack, cutely referred to as “afternoon tea” in Australia. From this little thought experiment I decided to have an apple
  •  Time to go home, so the standard train trip, arriving home at the standard time just before dinner
  •  Shortly before sitting down to eat I went into the bathroom to test my BGL and record the result in the log, then have the first of my evening injections
  •  The evening meal contained approximately the standard amount of carbohydrate
  •  At 8 o’clock in the evening I had my second evening injection, to prepare myself for the night time. This injection needs to be the right amount so I get through the night without my BGL going low and hopefully so it isn’t too high either when I test again in the morning
  •  At 9:30 I did my final test of BGL, recorded it in the log, then decide from that test what to have for my pre-bed snack, referred to in Australia as “supper”. The decision is primarily based on how much carbohydrate I need, but it needs to be of the long acting type, ie. low GI. So long as all of those considerations are matched properly I will be safe over night and not wake up too high

My stock standard day includes me jabbing myself with a needle or pricker 8 times, 4 of them to purposely make myself bleed. It involves me considering grams of carbohydrate each time I need to eat. Part of that process also requires me to think back over the last 12 hours and reconsider how many grams of carbohydrate I’ve already eaten.

And that’s before I take the first bite.

I’ve done this daily routine 16,790 times, having 67,160 injections. Sometimes people ask me if it annoys me, and my answer is not a simple yes or no. Yes, it gets repetitious and I sometimes would like to be more carefree and flippant. But no, because if I hadn’t followed a tight management regime for these 46 years, it’s very likely I wouldn’t be here today. I certainly wouldn’t be as healthy as I am.

So today was a stock standard day. I hope tomorrow is too.

Marathon des Sables – A Type 1 Diabetes Adventure

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s